The Devil is not in the Pixels


In this post, we'll look at the differences between UX and UI because they are different concepts that, when applied together, can be confusing or lead people to avoid one another.

Sometimes, in engineering, people wrongly say that a pretty interface, or an interface with animation, has UX. But it just has an attractive UI.

UX cares about inclusivity. If you're fortunate and without any physical or cognitive disability, it can be hard to understand this concept, but for someone who has one, navigating the internet can be challenging, and only 4% put themselves in their shoes.

Another thing UX cares about is making technology feel intuitive for everyone, so people don't need too much assistance to accomplish a task. 


Social Responsibility

I was trying to take some routine labs the other day, and you can do a self-check-in on your phone or on the tablet they have on site; an elder in front of me was trying to do her check-in, and nobody from the clinic was there to assist her. While I helped her, I could see her frustration with the check-in process.

"QR Code? What is that? OMG, where have the people gone? I feel like I'm on another planet."


The problem was also that, because she doesn't have the QR code, she had to do 5-7 steps instead of one, including scanning documents that she might not have at the moment. 

This made me wonder whether customer service should be 100% automated, especially when it is face-to-face with the end user.

What could be a good approach for this scenario? Maybe a Face ID check-in could make it simple for them if no one is supporting them.

I know that adapting to technology can be challenging even for us; we cannot run side by side with a Ferrari. But we can do what works for everyone, and technology should make life and processes easier for everyone.

Now, are we using AI to bridge this gap, or are we just making fast-fashion tech? 

References

WebAIM: The WebAIM Million - The 2026 report on the accessibility of the top 1,000,000 home pages

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using external Fonts in Power Pages

PCF Commands

Portal (Power Pages) WebAPI & forget about clearing cache